Friday, December 07, 2007

Searching for myself -- and finding TOO MANY

No, this isn't some existential journey. And tell me if this sounds a little weird, but... Have you ever Googled yourself? You know, just to see what the rest of the world finds when they type your name into Google?

I found out that I, Scot Woods of Grass Lake, am much less interesting than Scottish craftsmen who make things out of wood, motels named Scot Wood, and a Canadian chef who has a cool-looking restaurant in Toronto:

Restaurant review of 'Lucien'

The reviewer calls the restaurant "upscale yet unpretentious". Unpretentious, huh? So, flashing my ID won't get me any special treatment?

There's also a Scott Woods who is the president of West Arete Computing, and a short-haired fiddler from Canada who runs the Scott Woods band, which provides "Old Time Country & Fiddle Music." (He plays Mon Dec 17, 7:30 pm at Bethany Church in St. Catharines, ON. 905-684-1401)

All of these were very interesting. But the one who really made the ego-search pay off was the only Black (as in, of African descent) Scott Woods I found. He describes himself as a "Poet. Musician. Ne'er do well." But this Ne'er do well is the writer of "over nine books," which of course is a euphemism for, like, 10 books. So I'm poking around the Ne'er-Do-Well's Web site, and find this funny little link:

"Who Scott Woods Isn't"

I'VE FOUND MY PEOPLE!!!! I was lost, but now I'm found. And it turns out, I'm not the only Ne'er-Do-Well. I've applied to get on the list... cross your fingers!

4 comments:

Bud said...

All of this angst culd have been avoided if your mother had let me name you as I wanted, Pecious Woods

Anonymous said...

I've done the google thing, and there's an Irene Gonzalez Frei who writes "erotic fiction". How boring am I in comparison?

Jason said...

I appear to be the most famous Jason Wenzlaff that ever lived. But I’m not the only one. There is another Jason J Wenzlaff that’s 2 years younger then myself. He attended Wisconsin – Steven’s Point. And he had a son this year with his wife Liz. I’m not sure what the son’s name is. There’s no sign in the blogosphere of him accomplishing anything else. Whereas, the web attests to the fact that I’ve run several races.

Kelly said...

Yeah, you guys are lucky. Just try googling "Kelly Smith"... though I do have a letter to the editor I wrote come up when you google Kelly Milotay