Thursday, February 01, 2007

Good legislation from Bush!?!?

Well, I imagine I'm totally missing the plot here, but I believe I've found a piece of legislation being proposed by the Bush Administration which sane human beings can actually support. No, I'm not kidding, not being facetious, and not trivializing. This is a real piece of legislation that actually resembles -- gasp! -- good policy. Did someone let Jeb in the house?

The Bushies are proposing new farm legislation that would:

- Save $18 billion, mostly by cutting off rich farmers from subsidies ($200,000+ in adjusted gross income)

- Increase subsidies to farmers for conservation efforts on their lands

- Includes $2.1 billion in loans to farmers who grow ethanol crops other than corn (which includes switchgrass, wood chips, etc.)

Sounds good to me. Which, naturally seems suspicious. So what am I missing here?

Toledo Blade story

2 comments:

Bud said...

One thing you're missing: Bush wants to pay farmers to burn old chips.

I think this is not really as good an a=idea as you seem to think it is.

Anonymous said...

There must be some trick. I am suspicious as well.