Monday, January 01, 2007

QUESTION MARKS

Aside from the mathematical sum, 2,999, what is the difference between the 3,000th U.S. death in Iraq and the 1st?



There has been a general criticism around the world that Saddam was executed "too quickly." If civilized society has determined that death is an appropriate punishment for anyone, and if the person has been tried in a competent court, has had a vigorous and open defense, has been given an appeal, and has been finally adjudged, what is the difference between hanging the fella in one week or one hour or one year?

===================
Your comments welcomed.
===================

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always be opposed to any human being intentionally causing the death of any other human being for any reason-------especially revenge.

Bud said...

I understand your position except for this question:

Are you saying the death penalty is simply "revenge?"

scot s w said...

To answer the question you pose in this post, I would say that the primary difference between the first American death and the 3000th American death is this: When the first soldier died it was plausible and reasonable to believe that there was a greater purpose and that the campaign affected our security. It was reasonable to believe that we were fighting to prevent weapons of mass destruction from falling into the hands of a more reckless enemy. Now, it is clear that the premise was faulty -- probably fraudulent -- and that the 3,000 deaths have not really served any greater purpose. That doesn´t diminish the bravery of those serving, but it does impugn the judgment of those leading.

Anonymous said...

To Old Chip;

I've tried to think of the death penalty as not being revenge but I don't see how. It certainly has never been a deterrent to murder anywhere it has been in effect. How is my thinking screwed up ??? ( there is that distinct possibility you know--)

Bud said...

No, I don't think your thinking is screwed up.

I just don't agree wtih you on this point. :) I don't think the death penalty is intended to be revenge. I think it has other purposes.

I'm not saying that the death penalty is good, only that it isn't revenge. (So, it's probably my thinking that's screwed up.)