Thursday, September 07, 2006

Raspberry Harvest


Today, I gathered the second harvest of raspberries from the vines in my garden. The ripe, plump berries filled almost two quarts, and more will be ready in a few days' time.

I tried to be delicate with the ripe berries, but a little juice squirted out onto my fingers, creating a rich scent while I worked. I don't use many chemicals, so I have to share the crop with japanese beetles. There are also a few small spiders and aphids in there, so the berries must be rinsed before they go in the fridge. I saw a preying mantis on one of the leaves, too. Reaping a harvest is always satisfying, but it was a bright and warm late afternoon today, making it an even greater pleasure.

Tomorrow, I'll eat some of them with a bowl of milk and just a spoonful of sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A proper son would not be teasing his father with this kind of a posting, especially since the father carried those plants to that son in his car, a distance of 99 miles.
Bud