Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Gardening thoughts

It's getting late to start a vegetable garden, and it would cost some dough, so I think I'll skip it this year. I'll do some work: I need to get rid of the seed bank in our garden plot which springs up so many weeds, so I'll be tilling and pulling in order to get "clean" soil for next year's garden. I'll also tend to my raspberries and apple trees, and I think I'll plant a bunch of asparagus roots to get those established.

Instead of veggies this year, I'm going to focus on my perennials and landscaping. We have inherited some hollyhocks and lilacs, as well as some white pine seedlings.

I have a big spruce which has been topped by storms twice, and I'm inclined to think that's a sign of disease. When the top is broken off, upper branches bend upward to "fill" the spot, but the tree now looks like it's wearing a horned helmet. I think I'll cut down the spruce and put in some nice beds there.

I also want to plant some native trees -- hickory, maple, walnut and oak, as well as those white pines. I want to landscape with native plants mostly, but I intend the area in front of the house to be more "tamed" and ornamental.

Why don't all plants at the nursery have information on where the plant is found natively? That would be great to know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, tell ScotSW that he doesn't want to plant a walnut tree anywhere near his house/lawn/landscape. They are horribly messy and have a detrimental effect on almost all plants around them. Hickory and Oaks are also messy (acorns and nuts/shells)...but, they have a less-adverse effect on things around them and are easier to clean up/deal with.

felix