Thursday, August 23, 2007

Web Refugee

I'm working this morning, as I have for many mornings, on the road; I'm at Zou Zou's in Chelsea today. My itinerant life is not entirely of my own choosing, though I do find it a nice change of pace, and will probably come "downtown" once a week from here on out.

I've been forced from home by the dastardly actions of the folks at HughesNet, who have undermined my expensive Internet connection by turning off services. Apparently my 5-year-old satmodem, the DW4000, is no longer supported, and they're putting the squeeze on me to upgrade by turning off services. Without notice. And naturally, they're good enough to offer me a "free" upgrade which I can have for $25 in shipping charges if I sign a 15-month contract. Oh, and I'd have to have a professional installer come and repoint my dish for $125. So, it's "free" for $150 and a 15-month contract.

I'm over a barrel. Am I wrong to feel all this is a bit of a fraud?

My plan "B" is to buy a used modem off the 'Net and just attach it to myself. Should be as easy as a phone call and swapping over a few connections. And then I can work from home again.

Ah, the trials of a Web worker.

2 comments:

Bud said...

Am I wrong to feel all this is a bit of a fraud?


No!

Anonymous said...

No - Do up an official looking lawyerly letterhead and threaten to sue them unless they give the new modem for free - you live in America! They can't just cut you off - you need the connection to work. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Then again, they could just tell you to get stuffed, but you've got plan B and Zou Zou's to fall back on. By the way, make sure you include your coffee and food bill from Zou Zou's in your damages claim.