Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I thought this was cool


One of the things about the Internet that I continue to find fascinating is its ability to de-mystify things that have long been mysterious. I know: The Web's been around a while now. But in the pre-Web world I cut my teeth in, lots of specialized information was almost completely inaccessible to the non-expert. Now, it's at your fingertips, and at times I still get a thrill of wonder about that.

For example, the radio spectrum. As a regular person, your interaction with the upper reaches of the electromagnetic spectrum was "Channel 12" or "WSGW, AM 790." If you were a curious type, you might associate these "stations" with the idea of a continuum of electromagnetic waves. But did you give thought to where they shoe-horn in the police radio? What else uses those waves?

Now you can see how it's all sliced and diced in exquisite detail. Take a look at this. It's a wall chart from the federal government. Turns out there is an extraordinary amount of stuff going on between Channel 6 and Channel 7 on your teevee. It actually boggles the mind.

Like I said, pretty cool to be able to see this stuff without having to dig around the more arcane corners of your public library.

No comments: