Sunday, February 04, 2007

FLUNKING HIS SCIENCE TEST

It is not news to any regular reader of this humble blog that we in the ARBORETUM are supportive of scientific methods and scientific investigation. This applies especially to matters of the environment and conservation. This is one great area of our disagreement with the current government in Washington, not that he/they give a damn what we think.


We are also supportive of America's scientific efforts in space. As Stephen Hawking has said, ultimately space will be the salvation of mankind, if mankind is to be saved. (read about here)

One journalistic commentator whose opinions I respect and whose writings I think interesting is Derrick Z. Jackson of the Boston Globe. Recently he discussed the difference between the attitudes of one Republican president, Eisenhower, and those of the current Republican decider, Mr. Bush.

CLICK FOR ARTICLE (registration may be required)

This is one paragraph:
[Berrien] Moore [of the National Academy of Sciences] said the least the Bush administration could do is restore the earth science budget to the levels of the Clinton administration. Just as frustrating to him is that even as the evidence piles up that humans cause global warming -- the Intergovenmental Panel on Climate Change releases major new data this week -- there is no White House proposal to cap fossil fuel emissions. Moore said it is "almost irresponsible" that the CEOs of 10 major corporations have called for caps on carbon dioxide emissions but Bush still has not.

--------------
There is a silly notion whirring through part of society that science must be made to serve some people's concept of Christianity. There are is another notion that science must be made to serve some people's idea of good business, and there is a third notion that science must be made to serve some people's political interests. It is apparent that our current White House occupant has all three of these attitudes.

These continue to be good reasons for jubilation when he finally exits, stage far right.
======================

5 comments:

Crawford Tillinghast said...

You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost!

Crawford Tillinghast said...

You will not be saved by the God Plutonium!

Crawford Tillinghast said...

In fact...

YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!!!!!!

Crawford Tillinghast said...

I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE

scot s w said...

Vivo Ergo Sum? Is that the idea?