Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Preparations

Tdec and I are running around getting things ready for a long-awaited sabbatical in Paraguay. Thursday, we leave for a long weekend in the Florida Keys -- just the two of us on (hopefully) sunny beaches, watching romantic sunsets and drinking alcoholic beverages with umbrellas in them. Then Monday, on to Asuncion and San Lorenzo, where we'll spend a month with her extended clan.

While the prospect of a long siesta in the tropics is exciting beyond measure, getting everything lined up for a month away from home is much less relaxing. There have been doctor's appointments, errands to run, a little shopping to do. For her, lesson plans to write (in spades). I went and got a haircut today; it's nice, but not quite what I asked for.

We had to transport the fish over to Davester's, and try to visit with all our amigos before we take off. Both of us have been trying to get to the gym so we don't look too soft and prosperous on our "official" honeymoon, and as a precaution against the Chaco sunshine, we've been indoor tanning a couple days a week. Frankly, I feel a little frazzled.

Tonight, we have to get serious about packing. While we're down yonder, we'll be attending any number of parties, and at least one wedding. We're supposed to prepare for weather raning from warm and wet to extremely hot and dry. Oh, and pack some gifts -- lots of gifts! I don't feel at all prepared in that regard.

I wish I had taken tomorrow off of work as well, but I think that would be pushing it. My bosses have been extremely flexible about this, but virtually insisted that I take the entire time off. I offered to try to work from there, but the chief wouldn't have it.

So it's a month of decompressing. I hear the pace of life is much slower -- things happen when they happen, and there's no point being in a hurry. Sounds great. I think I'll have another cerveza, senor.

No comments: