Monday, December 18, 2006

SOMEONE CONJURES COLIN


Colin Powell is a man I once respected. He served this country in many ways, and I thought, wisely.

At one time, he was the "voice of reason" in the Bush government. It was not until he told me that we should go to war in Iraq that I came around to thinking we should do it. He went to the world to explain why, in front of the Security Council with pictures and outlines and grim predictions. I believed among other things, that the anthrax attacks on Americans after 9/11 was the work of the Iraqis, because they had that capacity. Colin said so. It was a matter of adding one and one.

Well he got his war, and then Colin disappeared from view. He left us when we needed him the worst; rode off into the sunset or something. Went to work for big corporations. And all his words to the world turned out to be untrue. Maybe, just plain damned lies.

Suddenly he has reappeared, ready once again to tell us what's what. You know, I already know what. Colin shut up. You owe me an apology. You owe me an explanation for how you could have been so wrong and deceptive.

You turned out to be a cardboard hero, so like MacArthur, why don't you just fade away?

I hope that I will not be judged by my worst moments, and neither should you be. But your bad moments were very, very bad.

2 comments:

Crawford Tillinghast said...

Well, in semi-defense of him, he's always been one to bow to the whims of his superiors. In the Vietnam war he was one of the officers trying to sweep the My Lai massacre under the rug. I have no idea how he really felt about it, but he did the bidding of his superiors just the same.

No different from back in 2002.....

Bud said...

C.T: I had not remembered this about him and My Lai. I know that it is a good thing that military officers follow civilan policy, even if it's nuts. So Colin may have been trained to do. But in his capacity as war monger for Shrub he was no longer an officer and should have resgned instead of becoming an apologist for a terrible policy. (Of course, I could be wrong and usually am.)