Thursday, March 27, 2008

An old friend returns


I just knew he'd be back the day I heard the Wings were buying out his contract to fit under the salary cap... The Free Press reports:

(Darren) McCarty has been on a tumultuous path over the past few years, and his career looked over last summer. But last December he leaned on longtime friend and former Grind Line mate Kris Draper, and Draper came through with a gym membership and a contract for the IHL team he co-owns, the Flint Generals. From there McCarty played for the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins, and Feb. 25 the Wings signed him to a one-year contract.

Darren McCarty's 36, so I wouldn't expect miracles. But he's a proud man, and I'm sure he'll get himself in game shape and do all he can to be ready during the playoffs. You'd expect McCarty to be a scratch most days if the rest of the team is healthy, but if the Wings make any sort of run, you can bet they'll call on McCarty at some point.

I know he's had his troubles, but man -- I like the guy. Welcome back, Darren.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darren is great with the fans, and I really hope he conquers his personal demons, but he has a lot of asshole stuff in his personal life to account for.
Another lovable oaf - hole.