Wednesday, April 25, 2007

New Car

Why I Bought A Ford Focus



I've always been a sedan kind of guy. I'm passing into antiquity now, but I can remember driving my Plymouth Fury (1st car) when gasoline was abundant, there was no concern about global warming, and the cost of gas was 30 cents a gallon. I never had expensive sedans, but the 4 door carry your kids and all your junk in the big trunk sort of sedan. When I wasn't driving sedans, it was the family mini van.

But this time, I bought a Ford Focus, a small car. I fit in it, but it's more like a tubesock than a comfy shoe. It's not at all my "style." And, I have to work on developing a greater sense of safety, because frankly, I feel vulnerable in it.

So, why did I do it?
1. A big reason is that I must downsize my life. We all have to make less of an impact on the environment. I have a child who is theocratically "green" and he will nag me. He'll nag anyone. This is good, because it's the kind of nagging the world needs. But now when he nags me, I can say, "but I bought an economy car."
Use less gas! Take up less space! Live more simply! Slow down!

I know that in the totality of things, my impact on the world is slighter than many. Industries, truckers, polluters and high-volume users of resources can all make a greater impact in their conservation efforts than I can with my meager life. But I have a responsiblity as well. We all do.

2. We still have a mini-van. We'll use it for the junk we have to carry and for the open road where it gets reasonably good milage. On our way back from Florida, last time, we averaged 26.2 mpg, and that was, we thought, reasonable.

We use the van for camping. We have a tent which attaches to the back and we sleep in the van, off the ground. It's a good way to go. But it will sit, mostly, while the small car runs the errands.

3. The Focus is 70% US-Canadian. Its engine is made in the US and its final assembly point is Wayne, Michigan. This allows me to practice a level of patriotism.

4. We bought our car in a small town from a long-established family business.

My son the environmentalist will be glad but wonder why I didn't get a foreign car with even better milage. My friends will understand when they have to cramp their legs as they snug into the back seat. But mostly, I'll feel better about myself.

No comments: