Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Green my Apple



I love Apple Computer as a company. I'm an investor and a consumer of its products. In the last year, I've co-purchased a Mac Mini (a Christmas present for Old Chip) and a Video iPod, so they've gotten some real coin from me. So I'm an Apple kind of guy.



The activist group Greenpeace is now putting pressure on the company to "Green my Apple," a clever campaign mimicking the Apple Web site, and designed to pressure the company to eliminate PVCs and to provide a global product recycling campaign. Everybody else is doing it, the site urges. Greenpeace points out that if the manufacturer agrees to recycle its own products, consumers benefit from longer-lasting and safer products.

Greenpeace is right not to vilify the company too harshly here -- they're trying to take the approach of, "Come on Apple, we know you want to be good." They're also clear that they've quietly been urging Apple to take these steps for years.

No comments: