Friday, November 03, 2006

Limping off the field


Scot S W, a clever and wonderful child, aimed me at a fascinating article in the Grand Rapids Press about Dick DeVos. You can read about it here:
LEADERSHIP STORY.

What I find most interesting about this story is the moral lesson about leadership. DeVos uses this story, where he was "sent in to the game" to provide leadership for a discouraged team, to impress us with his talents. If you're going to tout a story about your own leadership qualities - singing your own praises - should you cite a game where you hit only 1 of 9 passes and lost miserably?

I have no quarrel at all with DeVos's memory, or his intentions. (Although I defnitely disagree with his policies, especially regarding the environment.) Maybe he is absolutely correct in his recall, or maybe he is mistaken. Maybe his coach is wrong. I doubt that either is lying. But, Dick, my friend, more stories about yourself like this and we will wonder what exactly you mean by leadership.

Who is it who's campaigning against a lady because of her "failure of leadership?" Oh ya, now I remember!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read Devos's so-called "plan" and I don't remember him having any environmental policies. What has he said about the environment?