Friday, November 24, 2006

Notes on birds

WINTER FEEDING

People often think they shouldn't feed the birds in the winter because they know they'll be gone for some extended time, and they're afraid the birds will then starve without a human food source.

The Audubon Society says not to fear. Birds are very industrious critters and will fend well for themselves. A study has been done that shows even birds which feed at feeders also forage for the majority of their food. It's in their nature. So go ahead, spoil them and enjoy watching them.

====================

THE IVORY-BILLED WOODPECKER, assumed for decades to be exitinct, has been reportedly seen in Arkansas a number of times. Some experts doubt the evidence being presented and think that people reporting the Ivory-Bill are mistaken.

The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, reports on its sightings, here: IVORY EVIDENCE

1 comment:

Fancy Dirt said...

Thanks for clearing that up for me. When my old birdfeeder finally fell apart, I didn't replace it because I had come across the misinformation about dooming them to starvation if I delayed filling it for an extended amount of time. I'm going to replace it now. I missed watching the birds.
Now I need to find out whether the rumor I heard about deer spit transfering diseases to all who use the same feeder is wrong. We live in the country and I love seeing the wild animals that pass through our place.