Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Recycling CD jewel cases

My latest re-org project here at La Hacienda has been taming the masses of CDs accumulated over the years. Thanks to pal Brad, who has donated an unused 300-disc Sony CD changer, I have a home for all my albums and mix discs. I love this machine -- you can sort each disc into a group for random play ("Rockin'" or "Mellow" for example) and program a name for each disc. Anyway, the byproduct of this, of course, is piles of jewel cases.

I've had a hard time finding a "green" way of getting rid of these. Municipal recycling generally doesn't accept the brittle kind of plastic used in jewel cases or CDs, and you don't see recycling drives, either. But through the magic of Google, I found a place in Indianapolis who will recycle old CDs and jewel cases sent to them (on your dime):

Plastic Recycling Incorporated
2015 South Pennsylvania
Indianapolis, IN 46225.
317-780-6100.

I just called the number and confirmed the address with the nice lady on the phone.

A good project for you teachers out there: Start a collection drive at your school -- have your students bring in old jewel cases and CDs, and find a local company to sponsor the shipping.

As for me, I'm going to start filling an old box with these suckers, and when it's full, off it goes!!!

Update: There's another place that takes old CDs and jewel cases -- and virtually any other technotrash you can conceive of -- cables, monitors, computers, chargers, etc.:

Link: GreenDisk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)