Friday, March 16, 2007

REPUBLICANS UNHAPPY WITH CHOICES

Curbstone opinion from a citizen (i.e.,me)

I see that in a new CBS/NYT poll, 60% of Republicans say they want more choices than their party is currently putting forward for president next time around. Evidently the divorces, extra-marital affairs, whoring around, drug-using, lying and lie-ing, bribery, and jay-walking, are too much bad behavior for lots of folks to tolerate.

Well, I'm not surprised. When your party has spent 20 years telling everyone else how they should live their lives, and have defined morality for everyone in the universe, it's hard to find politicians who measure up. This is what comes of abandoning the traditions of Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower and instead becoming the party of the holier-than-thou's.

I have nothing at all against good behavior. Hypocrisy is not, in my opinion, good behavior. But, we all fall short of the grace of God, so it hath been writ, and also short of the greace of popular opinion.

I think we should run Ted Haggard for president. He has no history of womanizing, he is a died-in-the-wool Republican moralist, and like Lazarus, God has cleansed him of his sins, ipse dixit.

[Or, maybe Britney? I believe, she can make these same claims. ]

No comments: