Thursday, March 15, 2007

Trial balloon

Here's a "Spring Cleaning" type idea -- let me know what you think.

I recently tried to barter for a computer monitor cable by sending out an e-mail to a bunch of technically-inclined buddies I thought likely candidates to have what I wanted. I found a guy who had what I wanted, but the bartering idea fizzled when he insisted on giving me the darn cable gratis. Ah, well.

But I got to thinking that a swap meet would be a cool excuse to get a bunch of friends together. Environmentally friendly, too -- the "Reuse" in the 3Rs: "Reduce, reuse, recycle."

Folks could bring some items that still had value/use left in them, and see what they could get in exchange. Now, I'm not talking about worthless items such as plastic placemats, a bag of tattered playing cards or old audio cassettes. Rather, I mean perfectly good items which are no longer wanted or needed.

Some items I have I might swap: DVDs, computer keyboard, 6-disc CD changer, Kirk Gibson poster, books in good condition. Not gold, perhaps, but not JUNK, either. I have a big pole barn that could host this in the Grass Lake area, and I'm hoping my friends might find it a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Whaddya all say?

3 comments:

Bud said...

Count us in.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm highly offended by your snide dissing of plastic placemats. Secondly, what DVDs ya got? I might could swap a Mellencamp CD for some. Then again, I ain't drivin' to Grass Lake, Michigan for a 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' DVD. (I already have it on Blue Ray) (Not really)

scot s w said...

DVDs for trade might include "Shawshank Redeption," "Falling Down" and "Spiderman 2", and "Beavis and Butthead" is also a possibility.

Other reasons to drive to Grass Lake include:

Meet my wife, drink beer, meet interesting people you'd never meet otherwise (and I vouch for almost all of 'em), and groovy tunes.