Friday, March 16, 2007

REPOST OF "Trial Balloon"

=========
=============
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Trial balloon
posted by scot s w
Here's a "Spring Cleaning" type idea -- let me know what you think.

I recently tried to barter for a computer monitor cable by sending out an e-mail to a bunch of technically-inclined buddies I thought likely candidates to have what I wanted. I found a guy who had what I wanted, but the bartering idea fizzled when he insisted on giving me the darn cable gratis. Ah, well.

But I got to thinking that a swap meet would be a cool excuse to get a bunch of friends together. Environmentally friendly, too -- the "Reuse" in the 3Rs: "Reduce, reuse, recycle."

Folks could bring some items that still had value/use left in them, and see what they could get in exchange. Now, I'm not talking about worthless items such as plastic placemats, a bag of tattered playing cards or old audio cassettes. Rather, I mean perfectly good items which are no longer wanted or needed.

Some items I have I might swap: DVDs, computer keyboard, 6-disc CD changer, Kirk Gibson poster, books in good condition. Not gold, perhaps, but not JUNK, either. I have a big pole barn that could host this in the Grass Lake area, and I'm hoping my friends might find it a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Whaddya all say?
12:23 PM
3 Comments:
Old Chip said...
Count us in.
3/15/2007 6:27 PM
Felix J said...
First of all, I'm highly offended by your snide dissing of plastic placemats. Secondly, what DVDs ya got? I might could swap a Mellencamp CD for some. Then again, I ain't drivin' to Grass Lake, Michigan for a 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' DVD. (I already have it on Blue Ray) (Not really)
3/16/2007 9:30 AM
scot s w said...
DVDs for trade might include "Shawshank Redeption," "Falling Down" and "Spiderman 2", and "Beavis and Butthead" is also a possibility.

Other reasons to drive to Grass Lake include:

Meet my wife, drink beer, meet interesting people you'd never meet otherwise (and I vouch for almost all of 'em), and groovy tunes.
3/16/2007 9:54 AM
============
========
======

2 comments:

Felix J said...

I have an amusing anecdote, I believe, about the Shawshank Redemption. Mrs. M, who is married to the man whose CDs I may barter, and I were talking about the Shawshank Redemption recently. (Her husband and the author of the story the SR is based on are friends now) She said her boys (11 and 12) watched and loved it. I made a remark that I'd have thought the prison rape scenes would have been a bit too disturbing for them. She said "What prison rape scenes?"

(I'm still undecided as to whether your vouchery is a good thing...or, a bad thing...)

scot s w said...

It is what it is.